Friday, July 1, 2011

About the Babies...

I wanted to share a few stories about the little ones I am quickly falling in love with (there are too many to write about, but I will share a few each week).  Each of these sweet babies have their own stories, and I wish I had time to learn and tell them all, but here are a few who have touched my heart.

Abby
Sweet baby abby is about 5 months old.  She was found in a latrine, and thus has lost all of her sight and is completely blind.  Can you imagine living in an orphanage with dozens of babies and nannies buzzing around and not being able to see?  I remember from some of my special education experiences that it is very important for young children who are blind to experience a lot of touch.  I try to take 10 minutes out of every day to take abby out onto the quiet porch and sing to her and let her touch my face and hair.  I actually saw her smile for the first time today, it was one of my happiest moments here!

David
David is a four year old in the "trauma" room (a room for the recently rescued babies who need a little less chaos and a little more TLC until they are ready to be with all the other babies).  He was recently rescued and consistently stays in a somewhat fetal position.  He cries everytime anyone touches or holds him.  The social workers told us that this was an abuse case (as I'm finding many of these babies are) and he has lived in a round plastic tub for the majority of his life (i.e. why he lays with his arms and legs tucked in 24/7).

Sylvia
Sylvia is 6 months old, but if you saw her you would guess she was a newborn.  She weighs around 10 lbs.  (but now is healthy and gaining weight daily!)  Her arms are as skinny as my thumbs.  While many of the babies come in malnourished, this is the most serious case that I have seen at The Bullrushes.

We asked today why so many of the babies come in premature and were shocked by the answer.  In Uganda, abortion is legal, but is a very different process.  The women have to carry their babies until 5 or 6 months (I guess depending on the clinic) and are then induced and give birth.  After the mothers give birth, the baby is handed over and the mother is then responsible for "getting rid of the baby".  Many mothers do not have the strength to actually kill the baby and thus abandon them.  I have been told that many of the babies are found on trash heaps, on roadsides or dropped at the hospital or police station.  We were also told that many of the babies are abandoned after birth at the hospital.  The way that Ugandan healthcare functions, the family is expected to pay for the babies formula at the hospital.  So if a mother abandons her child, the hospital will not feed it.  Thus Watoto makes biweekly trips to the hospital to feed and rescue babies.

The silver lining for all of these precious babies is that when they are rescued by Watoto, they are truly brought to a place where their future is brighter than the majority of Ugandan Children.  They are guaranteed 3 healthy meals a day, an education, a family and a Christian up bringing for the next 18 years of their lives.  This is what brings me hope when I hear these sad situations.  While these babies have such sad beginnings, the Lord has used that sad situation and made them some of the most privileged children in Uganda.  Every time I hear or see the effects of some of these sad stories, I think of these bright, bright futures and am joyful that the Lord truly does provide.

Here are a few pictures (there are a lot of restrictions of what we are allowed to post, so I'm sorry these aren't the best).


One of the newborn "bunks"





These are some of the sick babies who have been sent in from the villages to be near the hospitals for treatment.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What amazing work Watoto is doing, and you are doing. What a light you are to these little ones. I wish I could reach out and hold the ones in the pictures. We are praying for all of these little ones you blog about!

    ReplyDelete